Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Colourful Critters

I am not someone who spends a long time in the shower or relaxing in the tub. In fact, for me the purpose of taking a shower is so that I don't offend anyone who comes within a metre radius of me. But today, after spending a couple of hours in the garden in the Japanese heat and humidity, the shower was like heaven! If I hadn't had to go to the dentist (again) I think I could have spent all afternoon in there under the cold tap!
Something that seems to be really enjoying the heat here at the moment are the caterpillars. They are big and in a strange way very beautiful (as long as they are not eating my parsley). I'm not sure if you can tell from the photo, but the black caterpillars are currently having a feast around the rice fields. There are thousands of them and they just munch full time until all the leaves are gone and then move onto the next patch - as long as that "next patch" is not my garden I don't really care!





So far they don't seem to be effecting any of my vegetables and even the crows have been keeping away lately. Here is today's harvest - it's time to start making tomato juice, tomato sauce, tomato soup, tomato jelly...... again!

No comments:

Post a Comment