Thursday, August 31, 2006

The end of the holidays…

With record rainfall, record heat and two children at home for the holidays I haven’t been near the garden for weeks…. But, hopefully that will all change tomorrow. As you may know Japan is a country for “seasons”. There are given days when all the office workers change from short sleeves to long sleeves (regardless of how hot it actually is that year), the pools all close on August 31st (despite the fact it is still very hot…) etc. The first of September signals the end of the school holidays and the beginning of the season to start planting autumn vegetables. Unfortunately as you can see, I have quite a lot of work to do before any planting can happen! I’m determined to get it started tomorrow, but it will need to wait until the first batch of pumpkin and apricot jam of the year is made…. Maybe by the afternoon I will have weeded a small section! Where are my "WOOFERS" when I need them????
On a better note the rice is definitely growing well and the first grains are now fully formed. Only one and a bit more months until harvest!

No comments:

Post a Comment