Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Poos





In a previous entry I wrote about Yamaga meaning the "scent of the mountains". Sadly there is another "scent" near our house that I can't imagine anyone wanting to bottle and take home with them. In fact at certain times as soon as some people arrive at our house their noses start twitching and although they are usually too polite to say anything you can see them thinking "what on earth is that smell?". It is usually at this stage that I point down the road at the "chicken farm" and try to convince them that our drains don't need cleaning.
I am in two minds in terms of the chicken farms. They are not "egg farms" but they just raise the chickens until they are big enough to eat and then the trucks come in the middle of the night to take them away. There are a lot near us and when the wind is blowing down the valley the smell comes directly towards us. The bigger the chickens get, the bigger the smell gets. Today (as you can see by the photo) the chickens are pretty big and the wind was blowing today....
I understand that the farmers need to make a living, but there are many people living near here that are starting to protest more and more. Some people are sandwiched in between two or three farms so no matter which way the wind is blowing they are affected. I won't even start on the "cruelty" aspect of it....
On the other hand, the piles of poos that come out of the farms are a great source of manure for my garden, so today I put on my gas mask (actually I forgot my gas mask so worked as quickly as possible) and went and collected bags and bags of chicken poos to put in the garden. It is hard to be politically correct when you can get things you need for free....

Thank you to all those who gave me good hints about chestnuts. I think I'll try again in the next few days - I discovered some other areas today that I didn't manage to clean last time....chestnuts really fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment