Monday, April 09, 2007

School preparation

Having never sent a child to school in New Zealand I have no idea whether what is involved here is similar or not, but.... it is driving me crazy! I think I finally managed to aquire everything today that will be needed on my daughter's first day of school, but I have the feeling there will be quite a few notes coming home from the teacher asking for things that I have forgotten!
As well as the standard notebooks, pencils etc. there is also the sports uniform, the school lunch apron, hat and mask, the funny mouth piano thingy, the painting set, the umbrella, the towel, the indoor shoes etc. etc. etc.

One thing I have found sad lately is the need for increased "security" regarding children going to school. When I arrived in Japan 11 years ago it was seen as a very safe country and espeically here in the countryside a place where children could walk to school without worrying about safety etc. Things have changed a lot now after a number of incidents of small children being kidnapped and murdered in the cities as well as in the countryside. Now all the schools keep their doors locked, children walk in groups to school supervised by members of the community and all first grade students are issued with an emergency buzzer to use if necessary. Here's hoping the world settles down soon!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:18 am

    Hey Jo,

    it´s very interesting to read what Emlily needs for school! What a difference to what Peter and Rosa needed here in France! But please tell me: what is this mouth piano!!!

    Love Birgit

    ReplyDelete