Sunday, October 16, 2011

Drying the harvest

I have to admit that I am always keen to try to plant something new, but seeing the entire process through to proper harvest is not always my strong point...resulting in lots of lost produce. This year I have improved a little and spent most of today finishing drying some of the things that we have harvested recently (or in the case of the wheat... harvested months ago, but finally removing the wheat from the stalks!). Today the deck acted as a great drying place for wheat, peanuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and chillies (the third batch for the year). Some of the produce will be used to replant again next year, but hopefully the majority of it will actually make it as far as our stomachs this year! Who knows, next year I might get around to not just harvesting all the butternuts that have self-seeded, but eating them too....

No comments:

Post a Comment