Sunday, May 25, 2014

Hiding Holes


In the middle of the hot summer it is not unusual to find my father-in-law's shoes outside our large rice fridge and if you are brave enough to open it you will find him napping in the cool on top of big bags of rice.  My son has his own favourite place to retreat to in summer - literally underneath the floor in the cottage.  It is the perfect place - completely concreted, very cool and very dark if you put the lid back over the hole like my son tends to do.  
Unfortunately this year he is going to have to share the space with a big crate of my onions.  Every year I grow lots of onions, but every year the humidity and heat tends to make them rotten after only a few months.  I'm hoping that this year the cool, dark space in the cottage will help solve this problem.  Otherwise there may be a rather unique odour spreading through the cottage as the year goes by..... Meg and Nathan - you will probably be safe, but Dad... you may be in for a treat!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:08 pm

    Hi Jo, here we have 33 degrees and I would prefer to join your father-in-law on his rice bags rather than Masaki! But for the onions it´s perfect! What a great planning when you built the cottage! Love, Birgit

    ReplyDelete