Friday, October 30, 2015

Cookie basket playing





For those of you who don't know, I have a small cookie business.  I currently supply 3 different shops with small amounts of cookies each week on commission - if they don't sell I bring them home and don't get paid.  The business has been building over the last year or so and I now have many regulars who will ask for certain kinds etc. and will buy a pack or two every week.  Bringing home unsold packets is becoming a rarity. 

Lately I have been asked if I can do gift baskets for people.  I am a bit torn by this prospect as my main philosophy with my cookies is that I want people to be able to buy them regularly and eat them like a daily snack, rather than an occasional indulgence.  This to me means reducing the price and also the pretty packaging.  I really hate all the rubbish that is associated with Japanese packaging.   But... I live in Japan where packaging is everything. 

Because I have been approached so many times I know there is a market for more beautifully wrapped cookies, so I have decided that I will take my business in two different directions - I really want to continue with the basic packs I have, but then add in a gift basket range too - on a make to order basis so I don't waste time and money on expensive packaging only to have to bring it home again. 

I love the idea of making things interesting, but every time I try to make proper baskets they end up looking very amateur.  So last week I took some cookies to a friend who is a florist to see if she could give me some basic ideas for making a basket look good.  Today she called me and told me she had so much fun thinking of ideas - playing around with arrangements etc. so I went to pick up the finished products.  I found it really interesting to learn a few of the small tricks of the trade - how to roll up a bit of extra paper to make things stand up, the tiny bit of shredded paper to tie it all, how to use cellophane effectively etc.

Now that I have the basics I will try with different sized bags of cookies etc. and properly drop the soft toys... I just can't justify an extra 100 yen for a soft toy that is likely to be thrown out anyway!  I hope to have a basic range ready just in time for Christmas - anyone who needs something a little different and very special to give to workmates etc... just let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Love your baskets, but I agree with dropping the stuffed toys. Maybe if you know the person a "something" that fits them. Here in the States the basket might contain something in line with the persons hobby or interest. Such as a cute notepad and pen, artist brush. Or even hot chocolate mixes, or teas. Just ideas. Glad you are back on blogging and feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I went to sleep dreaming of New Zealand tea or honey etc. being added to the baskets. Maybe one day!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:51 pm

    Joanne, It's a wonderful idea. I love your baskets. But being in Japan, I think you would get better sales if you had something cute in the basket.. maybe you could make something simple out of felt, or something christmassy out of a pine cone or something.. just a thought, because as you say, you have regular customers, so may not need anything. Nancy in Tokyo

    ReplyDelete